Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Just Want My Pants Back 6B

I am a little confused about Patty. She seems like a great person, especially one that Jason could, in a sense, look up to, but she still has lots of bad habits. She drinks, smokes marijuana, and is always smoking a cigarette. However, I think because of her habits, she seems very sick. She is always coughing and stuff, and I suspect that she may have lung cancer. "We drained our beers and walked outside. Patty immediately lit up a cigarette." (page 131). So, reading this made me wonder exactly how many people are affected by smoking. I did some research, and came up with some pretty interesting results. In the United States, an estimated 25.9 million men (23.9 percent) and 20.7 million women (18.1 percent) are smokers. That is a lot of smokers. Every eight seconds, a human life is lost to tobacco use somewhere in the world. That ends up being around 5 million deaths annually. Half of all long-term smokers will die a tobacco-related death. That means that cigarettes have killed more people this year than war has. I find that quite interesting and also quite disturbing. John out.

No comments: