Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Sea Inside response

1. I thought that it was a decent, but rambling film. I understand that a man's life is a very important thing, and the issues dealt with in this movie were extremely important, but I think that the movie was too excessive on that one topic. In the film, I admired Ramon's friends who helped him die. I think that that was a very honorable thing to do. I understand how if you were not able to do anything, life wouldn't be worth living. In all, it was a decent film, but I liked the book, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly much better.

2. I think that even though The Sea Inside and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly were both about people in situations that maybe aren't even worth living in, it is difficult to compare the two. In The Sea Inside, Ramon is paralyzed, but only from the neck down. In The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Bauby can only blink his left eye, yet Ramon is the one wanting to die. I think that in this case Bauby is a stronger person. However, Ramon has been in his condition for around 29 plus years, while Bauby only a year or so. So, I think that the two stories are not very similar besides the fact that they both couldn't really move much and were at the mercy of others.

3. During the film, there were many very interesting shots that definitely added to the production of the movie as a whole. During the more intimate kissing scenes, they had extreme close ups panning and fading into more extreme close ups, giving it a mood to match what was happening. During the flying scene, they do a first person shaky shot angle to add drama and suspense and also give the viewer the feeling of seeing things from Ramon's perspective. In all, there were many great shots that added feeling and different moods to match each scene in the film.

4 comments:

Sojourner For A Time said...

Great job on your blog!

Keep up the good work john!


erika l.

Grace Veker said...

I disagree with your first response, with the movie being too excessive. I thought there was obviously more of a plot to it than The Diving Bell and it grabbed my attention more than the book. I'm still undecided whether what his friends helped him do was unethical or not, but I can see both sides of the issue.

That's just me.

lady enchantment said...

derka derk.

Corinna C said...

um if you looked at the date silly it's november!!! not december!! hahaha nice job and thanks!