Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Always Running #7

Whew. I don't know what to think of this memoir.

In one chapter, Luis will be doing terrible things like drugs, sex, and hurting people along with his fellow gang members, and the next chapter, he will be doing public service and writing poems. Ahhh! This book seems so two sided, but for some reason it is in an appealing way.

I have always heard that once you are in a gang, the only way you get out is dead. With all of Luis' gang involvement in the Lomos barrio gang, this is something that has been frequently running through my mind. I know he doesn't die, because otherwise he wouldn't have been able to write and publish the book, but how does he get out? Or does he get out at all? I am very curious to get some answers. And along with the gangs, does Luis quit all of his other bad behavior? With drugs and alcohol being so addictive, will he be able to quit that as well? Hmmmm. This is something I will definitely be looking for as I read on.

In the last segment that I read, one segment truly made me angry at police. Personally, I don't like police that much to begin with, I don't know why, or actually have any reason why, I just don't. But anyways, one of Luis' friends, Miguel, died. Miguel had absolutely no gang affiliation.

"He devoted himself to sports- becoming a prize-winning track runner and baseball player. His leadership qualities satyed with him as he participated in San Gabriel High School's MASO club at the same time I was embroiled in ToHMAS. In fact, he had the respect from both barrios as someone who could transcend the obstacles and amount to something. He even talked about being a police officer." (pg 201).

One night, Miguel and his friends were ordered by policemen to line up and be searched. Miguel's brother saw the police and ran because they recognized him from an outstanding warrant. The police chased after his brother into their house. While his brother was trying to run away, Miguel ran into the house to try to help his brother. In the house, the officer shot at his brother, clipping him in the ear. Miguel tried to stop the policeman from shooting again, but the officer turned and shot Miguel in the heart, killing him.

I am fuming at this point, so I'm leaving. I will let you (whoever may be reading this) think about this.

No comments: